Thursday, September 20, 2007

It worked! Episode II: Water and Popcorn

Once when Ian was having a hard day I asked him what I could do for him to help calm him down next time he felt out of control. He told me I could get him some water to drink. We got to test that one out this morning. He was upset when I got back from my run and I wasn't lying next to him anymore. His anger started escalating and he really seemed stuck in his discomfort so I asked him if he would like some water. He immediately stopped yelling and said yes. I got him a drink, he took one sip, and within about 2 minutes he was smiling and telling me that I was his sunshine! I swear that my kid has the best ideas!

Around lunch I asked what he wanted to eat. "Copcorn!" he shouted. I made a big bowl of popcorn and put his in a special Shrek bowl. We cuddled under "Big Blue" (a blanket made by my grandma that is both big and blue) and watched "Goonies." It is amazing to me how much joy there is in our house when I simply listen to Ian and say yes. If he were in pre-school he couldn't ask for popcorn for lunch and we definitely couldn't cuddle every day.

While we were in Lowe's the other day a cashier told me to value this time with him while I can. She said that the day her son went to kindergarten was the last time she was allowed to hug him, and her 13-year-old daughter won't even talk to her. I just told her that I do cherish the time I have with him, but I don't worry at all about him not wanting to spend time with me. And I don't.

No comments: