Thursday, March 17, 2005

Just press play!

*Edited to add* I have been trying to post this since Tue but Blogger wouldn't let me!

When I was a little girl we lived in Saudi Arabia. I had to go to private school since there weren’t any English-speaking schools around. My parents put chose a British school for the first two years we were there (3rd and 4th grades). We took all sorts of interesting classes but one of my favorites was music. On my first day of class the teacher asked if anyone knew how to play the recorder since we would be learning it that year. “Sure I do, “ I piped up, “you just press play!” It really didn’t occur to me until after she passed out the instruments that I had said something weird. I totally thought she was talking about a tape recorder!
Buck brought home a recorder last night. He works at a bookstore and sometimes he gets freebies. Yesterday he got a new, unopened recorder from work. I am having all sorts of fun trying to figure songs out. I can play “Jingle Bells” and “Hot Cross Buns” so far. Ian is enthralled with the recorder. He doesn’t quite know what to make of it. He laughs when he hears me playing it. He wants to try too but he doesn’t understand how to blow through the mouthpiece yet. He basically chews on it and hums like he is playing a kazoo or something. This is one of the best parts of being his mom, getting to watch him open up and learn about the world around him.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: